Friday, September 7, 2007

Friday Morning, 9/7/07

Nathan was lethargic on Wednesday. I don't recall if it was a weaning day for him, so I'm not sure if it was due to overexertion on Tuesday or something related to the sedatives. Either way, he slept most of the day and wasn't very interested in therapy or other activities. I came to visit him that evening and he slept the entire time.

Yesterday was a little better. He did his therapy, which now includes playing with toys on a small table. This allows him to stand and play, while giving him something to hold onto. He's had a minor fever off-and-on for a couple days. They took X-rays of his stomach to get a better look at his internals and to help prepare for the upcoming surgery. It sounds like they're planning on taking him into surgery next Tuesday.

We're still waiting on the official results of the "upper GI" X-ray from his surgeon(s). The initial feedback we've received from other doctors is that his intestines and chest look good. I was with him for a few hours last night. He was very warm, peaking with a fever of 102.7. They gave him tylenol, which brought his fever down to 100 degrees before I left for the evening.

There was a bit of good news yesterday. A fairly significant amount of fluid came out of his stoma. This suggests that his intestines are starting to function properly. I don't want to get too optimistic, at least not until the surgery is performed and they have a real idea of where his recovery stands. The fluid itself was very different than the green coming out of his NG tube or the catheter in his abdomen. This stuff had a mocha coloring to it. I mentioned to his nurse that it looked like coffee with creamer. I think I've ruined coffee for her.

No comments: