Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Wednesday Afternoon, 12/12/07

Expecting that they might perform the scan today, I joined Christa at the hospital. It's probably a good thing I did; it hasn't been a very good day. Nathan has vomited a few times already. We went down to radiology around 11:30am to see if there was any blockage. Indeed, there appears to be something blocking where his small and large intestines meet.

Nathan's doctor stopped by afterwards to discuss the results. There is a very slim possibility that the blockage is something that can be expelled by a specialized enema, but it's more likely another stricture of the intestine. The plan right now is first to try and get ahold of the liquid used for this particular time of enema. I don't remember the name of the product, but it has a quality that causes the body to send large amounts of fluid to the targeted area, flushing out the blockage.

Alternatively (and more likely), they will need to perform a colonoscopy to inspect the blockage. If it is a stricture, another surgery will be scheduled. That surgery could happen as soon as the week of, or week after, Christmas.

There are too many unknowns right now to try and predict what's going to happen, when it might happen, or how long the recovery will take. The enema is the first step. If the result is negative (or they can't get the product), then a colonoscopy will probably happen next week. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have been following Nathan's story since you first posted to staph. I'm crossing my fingers for this (hopefully) last hurdle to be resolved.

(I don't know if I knew you from DigInterMediEx or not... Amanda from Installs.)