Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday Morning, 8/16/07

Christa spent most of Wednesday at the hospital again. She had a chance to speak with Dr. Alaish (the surgeon) who reiterated most of what we've already heard (patience, time, etc). They are planning to do a CT scan on Thursday to check for pockets of fluid. She called me with updates that afternoon; she thinks that the swelling in his face has gone down a bit, but not much else has changed.

I got around to the hospital last night around 8pm. At first glance I didn't notice much of a change at all. He's still very swollen throughout his body, but his vitals are good. I think Christa was right, his eyes seem a bit less puffy than before. He seems to be building up an immunity to the sedatives, so they're changing the frequency, strength and type of drugs in order to keep him comfortable.

I talked to him a lot more than usual. I feel bad that I haven't been able to spend as much time at the hospital since I'm back at work, and I want him to know I'm there and love him very much. The nurse says he can hear us. I just hope he's not in any pain (besides the discomfort from lying in bed for weeks).

Before I left, I squeezed his leg and noticed that it felt much softer than previously. It felt almost normal, where it used to be very tight and tender. The nurse said that's a good sign, that the fluid is passing from that area. I also noticed his "boy region" seemed a bit softer as well. It's still very enlarged, but I can definitely tell an improvement.

Baby steps.

1 comment:

Lisa Patterson said...

Jason and Christa, I know that you are going through such a rough time right now. I know from experience how hard it is to sit back and wait. The one thing that I learned was to pray. Pray like you never had before. Ask friends and family to get him on prayer list. The power of prayer is amazing. I wish that I could be at CELEBREE to help you go through this. I would love to invite Alyssa to come and spend a day or night with us. Justin would love to have her come and play. I will be out of work for a while but that gives me a little flexability to help out if needed. I am availabe for you guys any time. If you would like to have someone to talk to about what you are going through please feel free to call me. I spend many sleepless nights at Hopkins in the ICU with my older son. I know how hard that can be and how stressful it is to just sit and wait. Please feel fre to call me any time at 410-751-0010. I will do whatever I can to help you. Lots of love and prayers to you. Give Nathan a big kiss and hug for me. Love, Lisa Patterson